Friday 04 / 06 / 2021 0
How & why you should stay hydrated all summer
Let’s start with a little riddle! It’s a precious liquid, and life would be impossible without it… The human body is made of up to 60% of it… It’s the most refreshing drink you’ll ever have… Have you guessed what it is? Some call it H2O, others water! This precious liquid is literally what keeps us alive – and it’s a secret to no one! Along with the common health recommendations such as “Eat 5 fruits and veggies per day”, you might be familiar with the traditional “Drink 1.5 to 2L of water daily”. But have you ever wondered why hydration is so important, especially during summer? Well, come with us, we are about to test the waters! Hydration will have no more secrets for you!
First things first: Why is hydration “a thing”?
Let’s start with the basics: generally, it is recommended that adults drink at least 1.5 to 2 litres of water every day, but this may vary depending on factors such as your gender, age, level of activity and environment. But why is hydration important? Think about it: as mentioned earlier, the adult human body is made up of up to 60% of water. Therefore, maintaining this level of hydration is essential to ensure your body can function at its optimal level. Here are a few benefits of staying hydrated:
- Good hydration is essential to support a lot of bodily functions: Being well-hydrated allows your body to regulate its temperature, keep your joints lubricated, prevent infections, deliver nutrients to your cells, and keep your organs functioning properly, among other things. So if you want to stay in top shape, be sure to drink enough water every day!
- Being well-hydrated can contribute to your mood & productivity: Water is essential for your brain to function properly. As a consequence, dehydration can affect your mood and make you feel tense and irritable, making it more difficult to focus. So make sure you are drinking enough water if you want to keep your spirits up and productivity high!
- Being well-hydrated can help you maximise your physical performance: Water is a key element when it comes to physical performance, and adequate levels of hydration can help you avoid muscle cramps. Moreover, it is important to drink even more water when you’re exercising. Don’t forget to drink your water when you hit the gym! Bring your shaker and bottle with you.
While summer is the perfect season to have fun in the sun, enjoy long days out with your friends and go on exciting trips, it is also the time of the year when you are most likely to suffer from dehydration. If you lose more water than you drink, because you are being active in a warm environment and sweating a lot for example, you are at risk of becoming dehydrated. Luckily, there are ways to avoid dehydration, and habits that you can add to your routine to make sure you stay hydrated all summer.
Our 6 tips to stay hydrated all summer long
Life happens, and it’s easy to get caught up in everything you have to do and then suddenly realise that you are really thirsty. But did you know that feeling thirsty can be a sign that your body is already dehydrated? To avoid this, you can follow these 6 tips:
- Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go: Being on the go is not an excuse anymore! Carrying a refillable water bottle with you at all times will ensure you can drink whenever you feel the need to. To get into the habit of drinking more throughout the day, you can start by taking a few sips of water at specific times: when you are on the bus, when you arrive at work, during your breaks, when you are having lunch, etc. This will help you create a routine and you won’t even have to think about it once you are used to it!
- Freeze some water bottles overnight: This is perfect for those really warm summer days! If you are someone who really likes cold water, you can freeze a water bottle overnight and carry it with you throughout the day. That way, your water will remain nice and cold for a long time!
- Add flavour to your water: Don’t worry, you don’t have to only drink plain water for the rest of your life. If you find water too boring for your taste, why not add some flavour to it? You can do so by infusing fruits, herbs, and spices in your water for a few hours before drinking it: cucumber, lemon, berries, ginger, cinnamon, mint, basil… The possibilities are endless!
- Make your own soda with sparkling water: If you would like to try a healthier alternative to soda, why not opt for sparkling water? You can flavour it with the fruits and herbs of your choice for a refreshing drink with no added sugar. Another flavouring option you can try is our Flavor Drops! Just add a few drops of cherry or mango/passion fruit to your water to spice it up instantly.
- Eat foods that contain a lot of water: You’ve read that right, drinking water is not the only way you can hydrate your body. Eating foods that are high in water also counts towards your daily water intake. And lucky for us, plenty of delicious summer foods contain a lot of water! These fruits and vegetables are particularly high in water: cucumber, tomatoes, watercress, apples, celery, lettuce, watermelon, peaches, and zucchini. So enjoy your summer foods!
- Try some veggie cold soups this summer: Refreshing, tasty soups that will keep you hydrated and provide you with plenty of vitamins and minerals? Say no more! Summer is the best season for gazpacho soups, made with tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, carrots, red peppers, beets… You name it! There is something for every taste when it comes to cold soups.
To sum it up…
We all know it, it’s important to drink plenty of water all year round. But with summer being the warmest season, making sure that your hydration needs are met every day is essential, especially if you are keeping active under the sun. Try to make it a habit to sip on your water throughout the day, to ensure your body and your brain can function to the best of their abilities. And don’t forget your water bottle if you are planning on enjoying the outdoors. Have fun and enjoy your summer!